Travel and Tourist Info
Please note: HUGO do not endorse any of the commercial organisations listed below nor guarantee the accuracy of any information provided by them. They are provided only as a source of possibly useful information for HGM2004 delegates.
Delegates will be pleased to know that registration for HGM2004 includes free travel around Berlin on buses, U-bahn, and S-Bahn, for the duration of the meeting.
Public transport route information: German Version - English Version
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ANY DELEGATE WHO REQUIRES A VISA
All delegates who require a visa to travel to Germany will need to make an appointment to attend their local German Embassy or Consulate in person. You will need to have with you all the relevant documentation. During busy periods and holidays, the waiting time for an appointment to be booked can be up to 4 weeks. PLEASE ENSURE YOU APPLY EARLY FOR YOUR VISA.
If you require a letter of invitation please contact the HUGO Secretariat at:
VISA LETTERS WILL NOT BE ISSUED TO ANY DELEGATE WHO HAS NOT COMPLETED REGISTRATION FOR HGM2004 AND THE APPROPRIATE FEE MUST HAVE BEEN PAID IN FULL.
Check your local requirements for obtaining a visa and write to the
HGM2004 Secretariat in good time should you require an
invitation letter. Official invitation letters to HGM2004 will only be issued to fully paid registrants.
You will not require a visa if you are a citizen of:
- the EU/EEA/EFTA
- American Samoa,
Hong Kong (HK - SAR only),
Korea (Republic of),
Macao (RAE only),
United States of America,
- (and you are not staying longer than 3 months or in paid employment)
The following German Embassy web sites may be of use:
You can fly to Berlin from 167 airports in 53 countries. Aircraft operated by over 67 different airlines land in Berlin. The largest of Berlin's three airports are Tegel and Schönefeld. Tegel continues to function as the gateway to western Europe. Most of the flights to eastern Europe and Asia are handled by Schönefeld. The nearest airport is Tempelhof Airport.
Templehof Airport (THF)
- Take bus 119 (direction 'Grunewald/Hagenplatz') to the underground station 'Platz der Luftbrücke'
- Take the underground U6, direction 'Alt-Mariendorf' to the suburban railway and underground station 'Tempelhof' (2 stops)
- Take the suburban railway S4 (direction 'Gesundbrunnen/Ostkreuz'), to the station 'Sonnenallee' (3 stops)
- The ride takes about 20 minutes.
- A taxi costs 15 Euro (approx) to the Estrel Convention Centre and Hotel
Tegel Airport (TXL)
- Take the express bus X9 to the train station 'Zoologischer Garten'
- From the station 'Zoologischer Garten' take the suburban railway S3, S5, S7, S75 or S9 to 'Ostkreuz'
- Switch to S41, S45, S46 (direction 'Westhafen/Westend') until stop 'Sonnenallee' (12 stops)
- The ride takes about 40 minutes.
- A taxi costs 30 Euro (approx) to the Estrel Convention Centre and Hotel
Schönefeld Airport (SXF)
- Take the bus 171 to the suburban railway station 'Flughafen Berlin-Schönefeld'
- Take the suburban railway, S41, S45 or S46 (direction 'Westend'), to the station 'Neukölln' (8 stops)
- Take the suburban railway S4 (direction 'Gesundbrunnen/Ostkreuz') to the station 'Sonnenallee' (1 stop)
- The ride takes about 40 minutes.
- A taxi costs 30 Euro (approx) to the Estrel Convention Centre and Hotel.
High-speed Motorways (Autobahn) from all directions converge in Berlin.
- Drive until 'Autobahn Dreieck Tempelhof' and then leave the motorway at 'Oberlandstraße' and keep left
- Go via 'Oberlandstraße' to 'Silbersteinstraße'
- Pass the 'Hermannstraße' and 'Karl-Marx-Straße' and drive straight on to the 'Neuköllnische Allee' which ends in the 'Grenzallee'
- Take the first turning on the left into the 'Grenzalle', then turn left again at the next crossing into the 'Sonnenallee'
- The Estrel Hotel and Convention Centre will be visible after a few meters
Long-distance trains from all directions stop at the train station 'Zoologischer Garten' or at the train station 'Ostbahnhof'.
- From the station 'Zoologischer Garten' take the underground U9, (Direction 'Rathaus Steglitz') until the station 'Bundesplatz' (5 stops)
- Take the suburban railway S4 (direction 'Bernau') until station 'Sonnenallee' (7 stops)
- The ride takes about 30 minutes
- From the station 'Ostbahnof' take the suburban railway S5, S75 or S9 to 'Ostkreuz'
- Switch to S41, S45 or S46 (direction 'Westend') until station 'Sonnenallee'
- The ride takes about 20 minutes
- A taxi from the station 'Ostbahnhof' to the Estrel Hotel and Convention Centre costs 12 Euro (approx)
Local time in Berlin can be checked here along with other local information.
In April (with daylight savings), Berlin is 2 hours ahead of GMT/UTC.
Current Weather in Berlin can be checked here, along with regional weather for Germany and other parts of Europe.
The average high temperature for Berlin in April is 12°C (54°F). The average low temperature is 3°C (37°F).
© Copyright 2003-2004 The Human Genome Organisation
All Rights Reserved